Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Effluent, Tasty Effluent

That's my new word for today. There is a big debate here in Queensland about the fact that the government wants to add recycled sewage to the drinking water, or effluent as it's called. It's not exactly a palatable idea, but necessary in these dry times in this area. Still, I don't know if I can get my head around drinking it.

Things are going well, Jon is finishing up a stint of nights at the hospital tomorrow evening and then he will enjoy a week off. I got a brief reprieve from starting work because my visa had to be processed through the main HR department in Sydney and we all know how hard it is to get in touch with DIMIA! It's a blessing in disguise though; there is actually a lot to be done in preparation for Friday. It's time to stop living in transition.

We are very excited to move into our new home. There are several other doctors and their wives or girlfriends living in the complex & we will have a plethora of neighbors in a really social environment. The property is absolutely beautiful, we will post pictures as soon as we have the chance!

This is our new home:

I can see our house from here!

Today, I drove down to Brisbane to go to the Factory Outlets for linens and other odds and ends that we need for the new place. Talk about amazing prices!

My anticipated start date is Wednesday of next week, which will allow Jon and I to join some other expats at a pub in Northern Brisbane to watch the SuperBowl on Monday. Although, I am more excited about the commercials! Budweisers & wings at 9:00am! It all seems a little dysfunctional, but I suppose the SuperBowl is a reason to drink before noon?

Jon and I are also on the road to being motor vehicle owners! There are dealer car auctions down in Brisbane that you can hire a broker to take you down to and help you bid on a car. It is a good situation for us, since neither of us know anything about auto mechanics or Australian automobile makes, and they check it out to make sure it is in "A1 condition," as the dealer told us!

Things are certainly coming together!

No comments: