Thursday, February 14, 2008

Into The Snake Pit

I have a non-rational fear of snakes that is only compounded by the fact that I am living on the continent with the most deadly, highly concentrated snake populations in the world. After the incident of the hissing snake in the rock pools at Carnarvorn Gorge, my feelings on swimming holes have changed drastically.

eungella 003

However, Jon just thinks I am insane and therefore feels it is his job to break me of said ludicrous fear.

We decided to hike out to the Aratulla Falls in Eugnella National Park, since according to our B&B host, it was one of the few trails still accessible that had not been washed out in recent flooding.

eungella 026

So, we set off in our rental car that had no business being off a paved road to cross flooded creeks on a dirt road, so I could face my fear. As we race along, Jon is beginning to believe that Dakar is in his future and I am envisioning an emergency room in mine.

eungella 051

Slim pickings or not, it was a beautiful hike through semi-tropical rainforest and it was a bonus that the trail was a fairly easy grade with a few spicy spots. Whenever we walk, Jon takes the lead with the promise that he will be our diligent snake spotter; he failed to do his job this time, tripping over the tail of a huge goana, scaring the crap out of the lizard, me and with the screech I let out, two hikers behind us.

eungella 023

After all the excitement, we arrived at the beautiful Aratulla Falls. Theoretically, it is a really nice place for a quick dip if you can over look its snake potential. Jon jumped right in and played for hours sliding between rocks as if they were waterslides. I finally eased my way in and had a quick paddle around until I heard the word leech, which sent me running for my sunny rock.

eungella 020

Baby steps, baby steps.

No comments: